does the ansi spec say anything about cc(1)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Sep 1 08:43:30 AEST 1989

In article <4544 at hall.cray.com> rosenkra at hall.UUCP (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:
>like "standard" commandline switches, output file names, etc. seems like
>this could be interpreted as "part of the language"...(it would certainly
>make some Makefiles more portable).

It's nice, I suppose, to find somebody who is convinced that only UNIX
matters.  However, the proposed ANSI standard for programming language
C is not limited to the UNIX environment.  Therefore it logically cannot
talk about "cc", Makefiles, etc.

IEEE 1003.2, on the other hand, IS in a position to try to constrain
UNIX-like environments' use of "cc" etc.  I'm not sure they can say
anything that will really help, though, since different environments
will still require their own special options, and "cc -O -c" etc. are
pretty standard among UNIX environments already.