Turbo C vs Microsoft C

Tim W Smith ts at cup.portal.com
Sat Apr 14 19:50:28 AEST 1990

<
< What is the main differences between Turbo C and Microsoft C ?
<
If you tell Turbo C to produce assembly output, and then run that
assembly output through the assembler, you will get a correct object
file.

If you tell Microsoft C to produce assembly output, and then run that
assembly output through the assembler, you will get a correct object
file in some cases.  In other cases, you get no object file because
the assembly output of Microsoft C is not always legal assembly code!

Turbo C makes you almost able to stand not being on a Mac II with
Think C.  Microsoft C allows you to easily schedule into your work
day games of Go with your coworkers while waiting for compiles.

						Tim Smith

ps: why would anyone want the assembly output, you ask?  For obscure
reasons, I had a program that was contained in two C source files,
but that had to produce a single object file.  Under Unix, this would
be trivial.  Under DOS, using the standard tools, there is apparently
no bloody way to do this!  So I was *merging* the two assembly files
into one C file to run through the assembler.  Yuck!  We ended up
buying plink86, which can merge object files.  This introduced new
problems, however, because plink86 insists on renaming some of the
segments in the object file, so we had to write a program that
patched the damn object file to fix up after plink86.  I hate DOS.