User Libraries, when to use?

David M. LaRocque larocque at jupiter.crd.ge.com
Tue Apr 10 04:03:34 AEST 1990

***************************************

The massive size of my current C project has me looking
for alternate means of managing it.  I have never created
my own libraries before, but I was thinking that it may
help organize things.  I read through the ar and lorder
man pages and could probably create my own libraries, but
my question is even more fundamental.  Are libraries only
useful for those routines that are used by many different
projects, or do they offer benefits even if they contain
project-specific functions.  When does one decided that a
library is appropriate?  Is there any advantage over simply
separating the code into object modules?

-Dave LaRocque
larocque at crd.ge.com