127 terminals, too few for a decent yacc?

John A. Weeks III john at newave.UUCP
Wed Apr 11 11:35:32 AEST 1990

In article <5627 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
> I don't know how many terminals I have in there, but yacc
> refuses to process one of the .y files in something I
> snarfed, claiming that it can only deal with 127.

When your tools complain about your programming style, perhaps it
is time to step back and see if there is a fundamentally better
way to solve your problem.

> Where do I get a manly yacc, and how old is this bug?

It might just be a "#define".  Check with your sys-op to see
if you have the UNIX sources.  If you do, you should have the
sources to YACC, and since you are at an "edu" site, there is
a very good chance of that.

It drives me nuts when programmers use #define to define max
whatevers for no particular reason.  Even if the value is very
large, someone will someday bump into it.

-john-