() ignored in some expressions

SRB berg at cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 11 23:57:28 AEST 1990

In article <see References> (diamond at tkovoa) writes:
>This whole discussion concerns whether () may be ignored.  In ANSI,
>for "(a + b) + c", the () must be obeyed.  Now the compiler must
>add a and b first, then add c, or else do something that has the
>same exact behavior.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if you write it simply as
"(a + b) + c" then the compiler may still ignore the ().
But ANSI states: if you write it as "+(a + b) + c" (note the unary plus),
then the compiler has to evaluate (a+b) first.
Sincerely,                         | berg at cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
           Stephen R. van den Berg | ...!uunet!mcsun!unido!rwthinf!cip-s01!berg