'386 XENIX "cc -Ox" optimization bug

Dave Eisen dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU
Sat Dec 15 02:34:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec13.175120.12187 at robot.in-berlin.de> karl at robot.in-berlin.de (Karl-P. Huestegge) writes:
>Always 'works ok' with MSC 386 5.1 on my system.
>
>BTW: -Ox is default. And is the same as -Oactl. All three cc-commands
>     produce the same code.

Nope. The default for -O is -Ot (optimize for time), not a, c, or l.
-Ox (which is the same as -Oactl) relaxes alias checking so it can
change the semantics of your code if there is any aliasing going on.
Use it with great caution.

I would have preferred to see their "maximum" optimization mean
maximum optimization that doesn't break correct code.

--
Dave Eisen                      	    dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU
1447 N. Shoreline Blvd.