Fortran vs. C for numerical work (SUMMARY)

Dan Salomon salomon at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Sat Dec 1 05:30:32 AEST 1990

In article <9458:Nov2721:51:5590 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>> 5. There are many numerical libraries written for Fortran.
>
>Which, given f2c, is no longer an issue.

Does f2c handle conformant arrays properly?
If so, is the code that it generates maintainable?

I remember once trying to translate a FORTRAN fast-fourier analysis
procedure into PL/I.  Sounds like a piece of cake, right?  The problem
was that the FORTRAN procedure accepted arrays with not only any size
of dimensions, but also with any number of dimensions.  I devised a way of
doing it, but my method crashed the version of the PL/I compiler that
IBM was distributing at the time (circa 1972), got stuck in the operating
system, and the O/S had to be brought down by the operators to get it
deleted.

--

Dan Salomon -- salomon at ccu.UManitoba.CA
               Dept. of Computer Science / University of Manitoba