confusion with char *a and char a[NUM]

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Thu Dec 6 05:49:48 AEST 1990

In article <28339 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>Part of the problem, then, with people's understanding of arrays and
>pointers in C is that there has been a profusion of books about C,
>many of which continue to promote myths about pointers and arrays.

The profusion of books about C during the past couple of years appears
to be primarily an attempt to "cash in" on the interest in C.  Many of
the several books that I briefly examined appeared to be written by
authors who had only recently "discovered" C and thus should have no
business trying to teach it.  My recommendation for C tutorial texts
is to get the current edition of the "old standbys" such as Tom Plum's
series or K&R (the latter is best for already-experienced non-C
programmers).  At least those authors know what they are talking about.