Homework & the net (was Roots of polynomials)

H. David Bonnett bonnett at seismo.CSS.GOV
Sat Dec 8 07:29:25 AEST 1990

In article <9012071443.AA01722 at bisco.kodak.COM>, bilbo at bisco.kodak.COM (Charles Tryon) writes:
|> In <49248 at seismo.CSS.GOV> bonnett at seismo.CSS.GOV (H. David Bonnett) writes:
|> > In article <4529 at idunno.Princeton.EDU>, subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
|> >  About homework on the net... and my reply ...
|> True enough.  However, we shouldn't have to be playing "Net Police" and
|> jumping all over people who ask what WE consider to be a simple question.

I agree wholeheartedly with that. I have neither the time nor the desire to
ferret out all posts that are questionable in intent.  My post was meant to
encourage the neophyte users (and I still consider myself one in many ways)
to exhaust other means before coming here.  It is analogous to free user
support; if it is badly abused, the supply of information will go away.
And that is something I would REALLY hate to see happen.

In all honesty, I try to respond to new user questions as often as possible
and usually follow up by mail to see if I was really of some help.  I believe
I have only used "RTFM" once or twice in 3 years.

Just me 2 pence worth.

-dave bonnett; Center for Seismic Studies
      bonnett at seismo.css.gov
"Don't take me seriously, no one here does..."