Fortran vs. C for numerical work

Andy Novobilski andyn at stpstn.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 03:01:21 AEST 1990

In article <18756 at netcom.UUCP> avery at netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:
>Well, like it or not, I HAVE to. Well, not quite, there is Pascal or assembly.
>I'm interested in getting into desktop tools for Apple computers. I'm
>currently on a GS, and might get into Macintoshes later on. Even if I ever
>consider (rrrrack, pttthhh) Windows 3.0, Fortran doesn't loom large as
>a desktop lingo. In fact, Fortran hasn't loomed large on Apple computers
>at all! The only version I've ever seen is some dinky little thing for the
>eight-bit II models in the ancient UCSD Pascal operating system.

There are several Fortran packages for the Macintosh (including two
listed in the Summer'90 APDAlog) that will work with the Mac toolkit.
The ones listed in the APDAlog, work in the MPW environment.  This
would allow you to construct an app by keeping your original fortran
computational engine and using MacApp (Pascal of C++) to build the
interface.

There is another Fortran, by a company named DCL (Ft Worth, TX),
that provided a package of routines to construct simple windows and
dialogs for building mac like user interfaces.

--
Andy Novobilski     | The Stepstone Corp.  | Object-Oriented Programming:
andyn at stepstone.com | 75 Glen Rd.          | TV Network scheduling based on