Binary data file compatibility across machines

Peter Holzer hp at vmars.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 20 03:37:13 AEST 1990

bilbo at bisco.kodak.COM (Charles Tryon) writes:

>I have (as I have noted here previously) been using XDR to solve this problem.
>I am wondering, however, how many systems/machines subscribe to this standard?
>We have various flavors of Sun's here (3.4, 4.0.1 Sun3, Sparc) as well as an
>IBM RS/6000 which all know about XDR.  What other machines out there have
>XDR libraries?

On our DECstations running Ultrix (3.1 and 4.0) using sockets causes
lots of functions called xdr_* to be linked in. So obviously an XDR
library does exist. Unfortunately no manual pages do exist for these
functions.
--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |