Unix and gmtime()

John Stanley stanley at phoenix.com
Thu Dec 20 11:21:41 AEST 1990

ghenniga at nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) writes:

> I get is garbage. I know that my "tm" structure is being initialized
> but it's being initialized to garbage, eg., I get a time of Dec. 31,
> 2002 or some such upon returning from the asctime() function.

   Because you are passing garbage to gmtime().

> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <time.h>
> #include <sys/time.h>
>
> main()
> {
>    struct tm *clock;
>    int i1=1, i2;
>    char *tod;
	 time_t mytime;

     time(&mytime);
     clock = gmtime( &mytime );
>    tod = asctime( clock );
>
>    printf("%s\n", tod );
>
>    return 1;
> }

   I don't have access to the UNIX man pages for gmtime, but I can't
believe they don't show a required parameter. Wouldn't it be nice if
all compilers would use prototypes. My TC 2.0 refused to compile the
original code, telling me that gmtime was missing required parameters.