Common areas/common data/data sharing

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Dec 13 15:50:55 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec13.014044.9258 at nntp-server.caltech.edu> gceych at juliet.caltech.edu writes:
>I want to get the effect of FORTRAN group common blocks in C.  In other words,
>I want to be able to have 3 or 4 programs all sharing the same block of data,
>some reading from it and some writing to it, without storing it all to a file
>(file access is rather slow).  In FORTRAN, I would create a common block and
>INSTALL it using the VAX Installer...

You would be better off asking this question in one of the VMS groups; I
assume it's VMS Fortran you're talking about.  The answer is very
system-specific, because such a facility is not a standard part of C
(or of Fortran, for that matter).
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry