ANSI C -> non-ANSI C

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Dec 5 08:34:04 AEST 1990

In article <2880 at lupine.NCD.COM> rfg at NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:
> This is indeed a problem which currently unprotoize doesn't not solve.
> However I do not think that unprotoize *should* solve it.

I don't know what the name of the tool to solve it should be, but I think
that such a tool would really help spread ANSI C. As it is, ANSI C programs
are just plain incompatible with pre-ANSI compilers, and simply stripping
off the prototypes does not solve that problem. I appreciate the work you've
done, though I won't be likely to benefit from it... GCC doesn't like little
machines like the ones I use.

> By the way... the above example is not really a very good one because it
> seems to assume that NULL is defined to plain `0' and (more importantly)
> because it assumes that ((int) 0) and ((char *) 0) have different
> representations (which they do not on any of the machines that I work on).

Both of these are reasonable assumptions outside the world of VAX-class
machines. In addition, this particular problem is my #1 headache converting
such code to run on small computers. Floating point problems are relatively
uncommon, since code that's broken in the first place isn't as likely
to show up in a source distribution as non-portable code.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`
peter at ferranti.com