Terminal Type/Productivity correlation (re:was hardcopy/productivity)

Mark A Terribile mat at mole-end.UUCP
Sun Dec 9 18:34:00 AEST 1990

> >We've seen quick a bit on hardcopy/productivity discussion.

> >About paper I prefer the availability of real lineprinters
> >(66x132 fanfold 11"x14.5" type).  Some of you out there probably
> >thinks every installation has one, which is no longer true with
> >the proliferation of Laserjets.  I almost had to beg my managers
> >to keep the lineprinter at my last job, since most people were
> >printing their code out on Laserjets.

> I HATE laserjet printouts, and I have a lot of C code > 80 chars/line.

> But I work in an office environment...  is there such a thing as
> 132-column fan-fold, quiet, laserjet printing?  I also hate having to
> staple my papers 8-(

Well, I vote for the laser printer (so long as it's not the !@#$%^&*()_+=
HP with 60 lines/page instead of 66).  I like the clean, sharp printing,
printing which fades sharply enough to force the toner cartridge to be
replaced, instead of hanging on with a ribbon for five times its rated life,
and I am careful not to wrap code past 79 columns.  If I'm working on a Sun
it doesn't matter, since I can stretch the windows and get over 190 columns,
but I don't do everything on the Sun (I wish I did ... the Sun 4/Sparc is
NICE) and so I keep code to less than 79 positions/line.

As far as the stapling problem: I use small binder clips, which I pull off
for re-use when I chuck the listings (in the recycling bin, of course).

One reason that I no longer like fan-fold is that I've been forced of late
to work on the fashionable modular office furniture, and the desks are too
shallow to open fan-fold well.  Otherwise, I think I would prefer laser-
print fanfold!
--

 (This man's opinions are his own.)
 From mole-end				Mark Terribile