Fortran vs. C for numerical work

Avery Colter avery at netcom.UUCP
Fri Dec 14 22:41:10 AEST 1990

mroussel at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) writes:

>     I don't want to use C.  From what little I've been exposed to it, I
>don't like it.  C has a nasty syntax which I don't have time to learn.
>Now everybody who's been trying to convince scientific programmers like
>me to learn C, go away!  Maybe you have the time to waste, but I don't.

Well, like it or not, I HAVE to. Well, not quite, there is Pascal or assembly.
I'm interested in getting into desktop tools for Apple computers. I'm
currently on a GS, and might get into Macintoshes later on. Even if I ever
consider (rrrrack, pttthhh) Windows 3.0, Fortran doesn't loom large as
a desktop lingo. In fact, Fortran hasn't loomed large on Apple computers
at all! The only version I've ever seen is some dinky little thing for the
eight-bit II models in the ancient UCSD Pascal operating system.

I guess I'll just have to rely on my dial-in site for f77 to keep my
Fortran in practice. Maybe I'll come back to Fortran when I start
working. It looks like lady-C will rule the homefront though.

With that, I think I'm getting out of this flamefest...

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: