video mode question

Bill de Beaubien wjb at moscom.UUCP
Wed Dec 5 00:30:54 AEST 1990

In article <66205 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> brs at unix.cis.pitt.edu.UUCP (Brian Stupar) writes:
>does anyone know how to set the video mode to 80 x 43?  i have
>tried using int 10 func 00, but any values over 11 result in
>no change in the screen mode.
>
>brian
You should first use int 10h, service 12h, subservice 30h.  That's alternate
select - select scan lines for EGA/VGA text modes.  You then set the mode to
standard text mode (you have to do this after calling the above subservice).
Normally, that's mode 3.

Registers
AH	12h			AL 0-200	1-350 (EGA)		2-400 (VGA)
				BL 30h (subservice id)

Note that setting AL to 2 definitely won't work on an EGA.  I'm not sure
if 1 will work on a VGA or not.
Bill
Bill de Beaubien / wjb at moscom.com