ANSI C -> non-ANSI C

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Thu Dec 6 23:26:12 AEST 1990

In article <308 at dcsun21.dataco.UUCP> Roy Amodeo,DC writes:
>In article <2880 at lupine.NCD.COM> rfg at NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:
>>What I have always planned on doing (if I ever get the time) is to simply
>>add another (optional) warning to GCC which would warn you about all
>>actual parameters to (prototyped) functions which get an implicit change
>>of representation by virtue of being passed into a formal parameter of
>>a sufficiently different type to require such a change of representation.
> [...]
>the wrong data. I would suggest that if you do put in this warning,
>make it the default. If you *must*, allow a user to turn it off with a
>command line option. This kind of thing goes well with warnings about

Please don't.  At least make it a compile time option.  I happen to like
the idea of not having to put casts everywhere.  It adds a level of data
abstraction that I think is desireable.  If a header changes a data type
let the compiler worry about changing the call.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government