confusion with char *a and char a[NUM]

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sun Dec 9 09:14:58 AEST 1990

In article <928 at chem.ucsd.EDU> tps at chem.ucsd.edu (Tom Stockfisch) writes:
>I think there is an excellent explanation for the confusion about arrays and
>pointers:  the "base document" for C didn't always get it right.

The Base Document was Appendix A, not the tutorial portion of K&R I.

I think in context, especially considering the preceding material,
the cited colloquial usage wasn't especially misleading.

Note that argv could not have been said to BE an array of string
pointers, which is what one would have liked to say, because arguments
cannot be arrays.