Coding Standards.

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Sat Dec 8 06:44:53 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec7.163617.10916 at athena.mit.edu> scs at adam.mit.edu
(Steve Summit) writes:
>Not to argue with you, but just to present an opposing
>viewpoint, I've always felt that "} /* end if */" and the like
>make code look like it was written by amateurs who are still
>shaky on mere syntactic details.

I dunno, this sounds like argument to me :-) .  Seriously, though,
I agree; I have been known to delete all such comments from some bit
of source before working on it:

>Comments like /* end of ^C special case */ or /* end of argument
>parsing loop */ could be useful.

I much prefer what might be called `conversational' comments, as in:

	/*
	 * Read giffgaff from the user until the fire alarm goes off
	 * or we run out of sand grains, whichever comes first.
	 */
		.
		.
		.
				}
			}
			/*
			 * All of the sand grains were taken care of
			 * above, so the only thing we have to worry
			 * about here is the fire alarm.
			 */
			.
			.