What is Literate Programming?

Carl Cotner cotner at brahms.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 12 13:10:06 AEST 1990

Does anyone have any information about Donald Knuth's Literate
Programming concept.  Is this explained in his books, The Art of
Computer Programming?  I'm only aware of Knuth through TeX.  I
believe that TeX is stored in a web file, which combines source code
with documentation, in accordance with his belief that the 2 should be
closely integrated.

I'm very interested in this.  I would look into web, only I believe that
web will extract a Pascal file.  I'm more interested in working on a
C based project.  Is there a C version of WEB?

If someone can enlighten me by providing me with more details on web,
on Literate Programming, and on how I can accomplish my tasks in C,
I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Carl
cotner at brahms.Berkeley.EDU

ucbvax!brahms!cotner	           Carl Cotner/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720