Variable Name Conventions

Randall Atkinson randall at uvaarpa.virginia.edu
Mon Jan 22 05:47:55 AEST 1990

There is still the matter of subsystems composed of several modules.
In such cases, the practice of prefixing all identifiers external to
a module with an abbreviated module identifier really pays off.

More than just avoiding namespace collisions, it aids developers
in finding out where the procedure lives and what its parameters are
and what service it provides.  This is especially helpful in environments
where the external header file for a module contains meaningful comments
about public identifiers.

All of these comments (and for that matter those in the articles I'm
following up to) really aren't C specific so I've redirected followups
elsewhere...