The Fundamental Concept of Programming language X

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Tue Jan 2 06:20:38 AEST 1990

>From article <JV.90Jan1162520 at mhres.mh.nl>, by jv at mh.nl (Johan Vromans):
> In article <1470 at mdbs.UUCP> wsmith at mdbs.UUCP (Bill Smith) writes:
>> C		pointers + dynamic allocation
> Allocation is static.

Hmmm, I need a little lesson in current terminology.  Since C uses
stack-based activation records, isn't the allocation of local variables
dynamic?  I understand what Johan is saying, just wondering how one
distinguishes memory management in C from FORTRAN (Ok, the 'old'
FORTRANs)?  Wouldn't it more appropriate to refer to C has having
static sizing with dynamic allocation?  FORTRAN then has static
sizing and allocation, while LISP, Icon, etc have dynamic sizing and
allocation.

> Add:
>
> ICON		Goal-oriented evaluation. Dynamic datatypes.
> Pattern matching and "fail" concept from SNOBOL.

Just to nitpick, it's *Icon*, not ICON - the name doesn't stand for
anything.  Also, there is no 'pattern-matching' as in SNOBOL, though
it can be simulated fairly easily.  It's replaced with 'string scanning'.
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}