Bug in DEC's C compiler(s)

Larry Jones scjones at sdrc.UUCP
Thu Jan 4 09:19:15 AEST 1990

In article <1528 at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu>, battle at alphard.cs.utk.edu (David Battle) writes:
> I seem to have discovered a bug in DEC's Ultrix C compilers.  The bug
> exhibits itself on both vax and mips architectures.  The problem is that
> it seems to ignore objects declared as "void *".

No, it's not a bug, it's just an old compiler.  When the void
type was originally added to C, the only valid use was as the
return type of a function (no void variables, no arrays of void,
no pointers to void).  The bit pattern corresponding to the
"nonsensical" void * type just happened to be what was used for
undeclared variables, hence the somewhat confusing diagnostic.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"You know how Einstein got bad grades as a kid?  Well MINE are even WORSE!"
-Calvin