The 12121 check digit algorithm

Tom Thackrey tat at pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com
Fri Jan 5 05:24:24 AEST 1990

In article <599 at xdos.UUCP> doug at xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
 >In article <1498 at skye.ed.ac.uk> ken at aiai.UUCP (Ken Johnson) writes:
 >> * The 12121 check digit algorithm. This version Ken Johnson, AIAI,
 >> * Edinburgh University, 1989. You may freely use, modify or copy
 >> * this code, declaim it in public houses or paint it on walls.
 >> * But if you sell it at a profit, I want a share please.
 >
 >If you seriously want the legal right to control commercial usage,
 >you must follow the international copyright law in such matters.
 >Since you gave no copyright notice (which is required to say "copyright"
 >along with your name & year of publication), this is now public domain.
 >
 >I rather like public domain offerings, but thought you might like to
 >know for future reference. Thanks for contributing!
I just completed a class on software contracts.  We talked at length about
copyrights, patents, etc.  As I understand it, since the US has recently
agreed to follow the international copyright laws (Berne convention), it
is no longer a requirement to put a copyright notice in material to have
it considered copyrighted.  In fact, everything written has an implied
copyright with or without a notice.
--
Tom Thackrey sun!amdahl!tat00

[ The opinions expressed herin are mine alone. ]