common bugs in C programs

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Tue Jan 2 06:02:15 AEST 1990

In article <523 at oglvee.UUCP> norm at oglvee.UUCP (Norman Joseph) writes:
| From article <61500001 at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu>, by damerla at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu:
| >
| > I am compiling a list of syntax and logical errors I ever made while writing
| > C programs.  Some of these errors are very simple but hard to debug like typing
| > = in place of ==.  Till now I have compiled about 25 of them and any
| > contributions to this list will be appreciated.

  When developing the IMP language from B, along with other changes I
used = for equality, := for assignment, and <> for not equal. This was
strongly influenced by the widespread use of Algol60 at that time, but
the people who helped me design changes agreed that these were
readability improvements. Oddly, the change from =+ to += never went in,
and the language is dead now.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen at sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon