An overview ...

John Baldwin johnb at srchtec.UUCP
Wed Jul 18 23:59:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul15.194736.11447 at uunet!unhd> al at unhd.UUCP
(Anthony Lapadula) writes:

>True, but I've yet to see a version of lint that understands prototypes.
>Anyone know where I might find source code for such a beast?

I don't know about anything PD or shareware, but Gimpel software makes a
really great lint; Jim Gimpel keeps up fairly well with the changes in C
and upgrades the product on a regular basis.  As far as I know, the most
recent upgrade (which I haven't got yet) is fully ANSI.  The version I
use (just previous to the most current) certainly understands prototypes,
and has a lot of features that older "original UNIX lints" don't have.

The version for MS-DOS is very reasonably priced, in the $99 price range
(last time I checked).  And, WORTHY OF NOTE, Gimpel Software doesn't
believe in stiffing its customers with outrageous upgrade fees (I think
the MS-DOS version upgrades for something like $20 --- well worth the
additional functionality you receive!)

I know they have their LINT available for platforms other than mess-dos
but I don't remember just what platforms are supported.  They also have
it available as "shrouded source code," for porting to *any* machine with
a decent C compiler.  "Shrouded" means they have a (really neat) automated
C Code Obfuscator (also available commercially) which buffoonerizes all
the identifiers and constructs and removes any indentation information:
effectively producing "compiler readable only" source code.  Any C compiler
(I don't know if this means ANSI, K&R, or both) should find it a valid
program, but you won't be able to understand it or modify it --- thus they
can sell it to you for significantly less than they would a full source-code
license.