LPI-C, why?

Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Software gsteckel at diag2.East.Sun.COM
Wed Jul 18 03:24:30 AEST 1990

One major complaint/warning about LPI C:
   The call/return sequence for return of structure values from functions
is documented to be INCOMPATIBLE with ATT cc.

Why?  This would seem to be a bug, not a feature.  Any comments from ISC
on why they sell an incompatible C compiler?  This single incompatiblity
means that you cannot safely intermix modules compiled with the two compilers.
I don't use structure return values often, but I have NO idea whether or
not any random module I've inherited does, and if it's a library, have
NO WAY to find out.

LPI C also seems not to produce better code than the ATT compiler, at least
on the 10 or so programs I ran through it.

I bought the development kit but don't use LPI cc.  I use GCC if I need
an ANSI C compiler.  It can be forced to generate compatible code.
$700 wasted.

	regards,
	geoff steckel (gwes at wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.