integer to string function (itoa())

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Jul 1 10:31:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun30.071229.23965 at agate.berkeley.edu> dankg at monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:
>	Maybe.  But I was wondering why there's no itoa() in most C libraries:
>atoi() exists and often used in scanf().  Why do we let [sf]printf() do
>all conversion instead of calling itoa...

Such things existed once.  They fell pretty much out of use once sprintf
and friends became available, since there wasn't a spectacular difference
in efficiency and the more general tool was easier to remember (because it
got so much more use).
--
"Either NFS must be scrapped or NFS    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
must be changed."  -John K. Ousterhout |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry