Semantic defintions in standards

chiba khb at chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Jul 26 07:04:20 AEST 1990

In article <9848 at hubcap.clemson.edu> steve at hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) writes:

   What is the status of attempts at the latest standard?

C became an ANSI standard in December '89.
Fortran 90 is in the midst of ISO processing for offical ISO draft status.

   What methods are used to specify semantics?

X3J3 employs english. BNF is provided as an aid.

   Are there any attempts to use any of the ``formal semantics'' methods?

It is my understanding that the ISO Modula work uses VDM. Most other
standards bodies, that I am aware of, do not employ "formal semantics"
techniques.
--
Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman at Eng.Sun.COM
It's Not My Fault   | MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun* khb at chiba.Eng.Sun.COM