Prototyping in an imperfect world....

Adam Stoller ghoti+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 5 23:20:28 AEST 1990

Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.c: 3-Jul-90 Re: Prototyping in an
imper.. Karl Heuer at haddock.ima.i (6245)

> Yuck.

In looking at it again - I agree - but for me it's a definite Yuck to
both of the options.

However, I apparently went down this road of hackdom due to a
brain-damaged compiler which whines incessantly when you mix prototype
declarations and old-style definitions (the compiler defines __STDC__
but apparently does not conform [completely] to ANSI specs).

So - having traveled the bumpy road, I come full circle - and will
probably choose to just a simple prototype declaration (which even if
not used, serves as additional documentation for the function) and
old-style definitions  - at least until ANSI compliant
pre-processors/compilers are more prevelant than they are now.

Sorry to have poured such a filthy hack onto your collective screens (;-)

--fish