ANSI C and C++

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Jul 15 09:29:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul13.225712.3433 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> bms6x at hopper.cs.Virginia.EDU (Brad M. Segal) writes:
>  Does anyone know of a text that describes the differences between
>ANSI C and C++ 2.0? I'm trying to compile ANSI C headers with
>a C++ compiler and not getting too far.

The best book for this is the new Annotated C++ Reference Manual (Ellis
and Stroustrup, Addison-Wesley 1990).  Be warned that it's expensive.
Be warned, also, that it describes the current version of C++, and most
compilers don't implement that yet.

That last point deserves emphasis:  you're going to have to be more
precise than "a C++ compiler".  C++ has evolved quite a bit since the
old Stroustrup book, and various compilers implement slightly different
languages.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry