validity of free() on later pointer operations

william E Davidsen davidsen at antarctica.crd.GE.COM
Thu Jul 12 05:01:54 AEST 1990

In article <1956 at runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, edward at runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Edward
Birch) writes:

|> I quote the manual here:
|> 	The argument to "free" is a pointer to a block previosly allocated
|> 	by "malloc"; after "free" is performed this space is made available
|> 	for further allocation, but its contents are left undisturbed.

  I'm not sure what manual you think is "the" manual, K&R 2nd ed.
doesn't say that (pg 252), nor does my copy (admiditedly a draft copy)
of the ANSI standard. What athority are you quoting? This sounds like
some vendor nonportability from an early UNIX version.