m4 problems

Dave Corcoran dave at aspect.UUCP
Wed Jul 11 11:15:56 AEST 1990

Netters:

(It seems like comp.lang.c is a good a place as any...)

I thought that m4 was the cat's meow in pre-processors until I tried
to use the "include" key-word for a quick and dirty include facility
in the make(1) process.

So I tried to include paths.x:

	rebar.o    : ../concrete/include/wall.h
	pvcvalve.o : ../car/include/smog.h

thus
	include(paths.x)

resulting in

	rebar.o    : ../concrete//wall.h
	pvcvalve.o : ../car//smog.h

the "include" in the pathname was eaten i.e. interpreted to be the key-word
"inlcude" by m4 complicating the task so I abandoned the exercize.

If I define include thus:

	define(`include',``include'')

it works (via sinclude()) but the "include" key-word has lost its use i.e. the
statement include(paths.x) yields include(paths.x) not the contents of paths.x.

Comments anyone? Commiseration welcome
--

David Corcoran			-@@
..!uunet!aspect!dave		  ~