An overview ...

Floyd McWilliams fmcwilli at oracle.oracle.com
Fri Jul 13 01:16:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul1.065531.18620 at acc.stolaf.edu> hannum at haydn.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) writes:
>My solution:  Don't use lint; it's ancient and brain-dead.  Learn C, or get
>a C guru to help you.

	I work for Oracle's kernal development group.  Everyone here knows
C; many of us are gurus.  But nobody is going to wade through thousands of
lines of code every time we change a structure, alter calling conventions,
or add new code.
	Lint is an automated tool that checks for simple errors.  It catches
most of these errors and returns some spurious messages, which means the
person running line must spend a few minutes checking them out.  Beats
poring over the code for several hours with a copy of K&R II.

	Floyd McWilliams -- fmcwilli at oracle.com
	"Little bunny Foo-foo, rocking out for Satan.
	 Picking up little field mice and biting off their heads."