main() arguments, was Re: typedef-ing an array

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Fri Jul 6 10:38:54 AEST 1990

In article <4241 at jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb at mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
|In article <25273 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
||attribution lost:
|||I know that both UNIX and DOS (M'soft C compilers anyway) support
|||char **envp ... as the third parameter to main.
||to write a portable program, you must not use this invisible third argument.
|
|Can you quote a reference to this assertion?

Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie, _The_C_Programming_Language_,
Prentice-Hall, 1978.  Page 110.  "When main is called to begin execution,
it is called with two arguments."

I've heard rumors that there are other references on the topic too,
including a newer edition of the cited book.
Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC     diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
This is me speaking.  If you want to hear the company speak, you need DECtalk.