ANSI C and C++

James L. Novak novak at intvax.UUCP
Sat Jun 9 04:10:05 AEST 1990

I apologise if I break any defined protocol re: comp.lang.c--I
am a new subscriber.

I have many ANSI C modules (developed on a PC) that I want to
use on a SPARCstation.  I've seen the problem of ANSI C to C
translators discussed thoroughly here before--I got in in the
middle.

My question is: is C++ a superset of ANSI C such that any C++
compiler will take ANSI C and spit out "standard" C (or binary)?
I get conflicting answers, especially with regard to linking th
code to old C libraries (need to use "externc").

If this is true, can't we just all get C++ compilers?

BTW, my SUN rep says V4.1 will include ANSI C--but not till
later this fall.

Jim Novak
Sandia National Labs
novak at cs.sandia.gov or novak at intvax.UUCP, whichever happens to be up....