Can lint help an ANSI-C programmer?

Zoo zuhn at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Sun Jun 3 04:56:46 AEST 1990

>>>>> On 31 May 90 11:25:42 GMT, ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) said:

Richard> How is an ANSI C compiler, with just one file to look at,
Richard> going to notice that you've defined two functions with the
Richard> same name in different files?  Yes, the linker will catch
Richard> that one, but the linker won't tell you which lines the
Richard> definitions are on, and lint will.

Then fix your linker... I use GNU ld and it does just what you say
the linker won't do.  You don't need lint to catch this.

I use GNU CC (writing ANSI style programs) and would like to be able to
use lint but I don't have access to any that deal with ANSI'isms.  But
the rest of the compile-link suite of tools is getting better and better
in respect to catching things that were once caught only by lint.

david d [zoo] zuhn		Univ. of Minnesota Dept. of Astronomy
zoo at aps1.spa.umn.edu		Automated Plate Scanner	Project