How can I de-escape my strings at run time?

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Tue Jun 5 00:10:51 AEST 1990

In article <MEISSNER.90Jun3154100 at curley.osf.org> meissner at osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
> It came up a few times.  The problem is that ANSI C is not mandated to
> require ASCII (or even ISO646).  EBCDIC is the classic counterpoint.

Are the rest of the escapes, in fact, portable? For example, does ebcdic
have a separate \r and \n? I know some ASCII-based systems use the two
interchangeably (OS/9, for example).

Not to mention that C pretty much assumes you'll have non-portable
characters like # and {} available...

With another ANSI standard (X3.64, I think) specifying the interpretation of
escape sequences, it's not even that unportable...
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180.  <peter at ficc.ferranti.com>
 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?  <peter at sugar.hackercorp.com>