How can I de-escape my strings at run time?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Jun 1 03:22:28 AEST 1990

In article <6550.26639B0A at puddle.fidonet.org> cspw.quagga at p0.f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org (cspw quagga) writes:
>Is there an easy way to read a string into a buffer with automatic run-time
>translation of the escape sequences? ...

Alas, no.  It would be very nice if *scanf and *printf provided variants of
%s that would do this.  At one point I considered formally proposing this
for ANSI C, but decided that I could not point to sufficient experience
with it to justify adding it to the standard.
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu