Explicit cast of NULL (was Re: Short-circuiting conditions)

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Thu Jun 28 07:23:31 AEST 1990

In article <9473 at hubcap.clemson.edu> grimlok at hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Percy) writes:
>As near as I can tell, the need for explicit casts on NULL pointers _IS_
>obsolete.  Don't continue to propogate obsolete-isms.  Use prototyping
>utilities to fix old programs.

The problem is with old *compilers*, not old *programs*.  ANSI compilers are
not yet ubiquitous, so the careful programmer must still use explicit casts
in function arguments to make sure that the program will work on pre-ANSI
implementations.  An ANSI-to-Classic conversion tool could do the job, but
I haven't heard of one that inserts the necessary casts.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at kelp.ima.isc.com or ima!kelp!karl), The Walking Lint