C tutorial

Cookson cookson at helios.mitre.org
Fri Jun 15 04:22:18 AEST 1990

In article <70 at raysnec.UUCP> shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>In article <5940033 at hpcupt1.HP.COM> jamiller at hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Miller) writes:
>>
>>I'll probably get shot, but if you know a few programming languages
>>I suggest K&R (now K&R II).  Even if you don't know a few programming
>>languages I'd suggest K&R.  I think it is one of the best books ever.
>
>Jim, the writer asked about good C *tutorial* books. While I haven't
>reviewed K&R II, I found the original K&R too terse to use as a learning
>tool. My favorite series are by Kochan and Wood (in various combinations):
>Programming in C, the wonderful intermediate level Topics in C Programming,
>and the latest on Ansi C. Topics, in particular, covers a breadth of
>material rarely encountered, like curses, makefiles, library calls, etc.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Jim here.  I used the K&R (I & II) and
a compiler.  I haven't really needed anything else.  The K&R book was
short, sweet and to the point.  Plus the ANSI version has a synopsis
of the standard libraries in the back which is kinda helpful.  The
curses and make stuff seems to me like it belongs in a Unix book,
not a C book.

Just my $.02,
Dean

% Dean Cookson				  $ Anyone can be taught to sculpt    %
% dcookson at mitre.org			    $ Michaelangleo would have had to %
% {devax,et al..}!linus!mbunix!helios!cookson $ have been taught how not to.  %
% Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, and       $ The same is true of great   %
%       are of questionable sanity                $ programmers               %