wanted: converter for fcn declarators

Dan KoGai dankg at tornado.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jun 6 22:25:43 AEST 1990

In article <2162 at nems.dt.navy.mil> science at nems.dt.navy.mil (Mark Zimmermann) writes:
>I am writing C using the newer ANSI-style function declarations (see
>examples below) and this is great for my Macintosh and PC C compilers --
>but the generic UNIX 'cc' available to me on Macintosh under A/UX, on
>Sun Sparcstation, and on VAX under Ultrix do NOT understand this style,
>alas.  Could somebody help me find or develop a quick program to convert
>from new ANSI-prototype-style declarators to the old way?

	The easiest and most productive solution is get a copy of gcc--gcc
is totally ANSI compliant and compiles old-style C as well.  FSF is boycotting
Apple so I'm not sure about A/UX (But there was emacs so it may be available)
but for both Sparc and VAX, gcc is available.
	In my class assignments, we all use Ansi C thus gcc is the only
compiler.  None of my class account would compile on local cc.
	And gcc is better when compiling Xwindow application--it drove Apollo
Domain's cc nuts--<X11/*.h> is usually written in Ansi style (or so my cpp
said--maybe #ifdefs have some problems but that's rather old cc's fault).

____  __  __    + Dan The "I love both GNU and Mac" Man
____| ______ 	+ Voice:	+1 415-549-6111
|     |__|__|	+ USnail:	1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709 U.S.A
    |____|____	+ "What's the biggest U.S. export to Japan?"
  \_|    |      + "Bullshit.  It makes the best fertilizer for their rice"