Inherent imprecision of floating point variables

Matthew Farwell dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 00:32:57 AEST 1990

In article <4186 at jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb at mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>In article <b3f.2688bfce at ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan at ibmpcug.CO.UK (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>-[code segment deleted]
>-
>-If its all to do with conversion routines, why doesn't this stop when f
>-reaches 10?
>Because (10.0 - 0.1) + 0.1 will never be exactly equal to 10.0.

This is exactly the point I was making. The person who I followed up to
was saying it was to do with ascii->float conversion routines. I was
making the point that it wasn't anything to do with them.

Dylan.
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        dylan%ibmpcug.CO.UK at ukc
Harrow HA1 4LQ England            |        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug.co.uk!dylan
Phone: +44 81-863-1191            | Sun? Don't they make coffee machines?