To beep or not to beep.

Dik T. Winter dik at cwi.nl
Fri Jun 15 09:22:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun13.092453.5677 at gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee at bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
 > Data entry terminals are often beepers -- on data which does not pass
 > validation checks.  If you actually DO data entry, you are probably in
 > a room full of other people doing the same thing, and there is nothing
 > which will destroy concentration so much as being in a room full of
 > beeping terminals.
I agree and disagree.  I would not like to work in a room full of beeping
terminals.  But actually, if it is a room full of data entry terminals the
users (people doing data entry) are not looking at the screen at all, only
at the data they are about to enter.  In this kind of environment it *is*
useful (making entry errors known), but no problem because it does not
occur often (data enters are pretty good at their job).

 > VM/CMS is a big offender, beeps for EVERYTHING.  I finally nobbled my
 > 3270 emulation by patching out the bell subroutine.  Sheer heaven.
True enough.
 >                    The machine running the 3270 emulation had no volume
 > knob.
You could always cut the wire.
dik at cwi.nl