UNIX command line arguments

Edward M. Markowski emm at iczer-1.UUCP
Sat Jun 9 09:22:18 AEST 1990

In article <352 at ankh.ftl.fl.us> chin at ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) writes:

>the case of "mv file.* myfile.*". Would **argv then contain "mv file.1
>myfile.1 file.2 myfile.2 file.3 myfile.3". If so, then I understand, but
>if now, then how else does it work.

You have it right except for one point. When the shell expands the * or []
or whatever else you put on the line it alphabitizes(sp?) them.

You have to rember that some commands need the parameters in a specific
order. mv will work with many parameters as long as the last one it the
name of a directory.

--
Edward M. Markowski -- iczer-1 Administrator

                              ...the garage is flooded from the sprinkler.
                              It also left a man's decapitated body,
VOICE : (201) 478-6052        lying on the floor next to his own severed head.
UUCP : ..!uunet!iczer-1!emm   A head which at this time has no name.