VMS Specific question about binary reads using fgetc

Alexander Stockdale a204 at mindlink.UUCP
Mon Jun 11 23:11:39 AEST 1990

Regarding reads from RMS files, I've played with this at various times.
It always works better if the the file characteristic is Stream-LF (the
UNIX format).  There are utilities which will convert files to this format for
you (check some of the DECUS tapes).  If you don't want to convert, you'll
probably have to modify the code so it knows about the implicit carriage return
information in the file.  This can be a real hassle, depending on what the code
is supposed to do.  For example, if
you're trying to strip CR/LF, no problem.  If, on the other hand, you're trying
to convert them to something else, this can be a real hassle.