Proof that Prolog can be faster than C

Christer Ericson christer at cs.umu.se
Wed Jun 13 20:03:41 AEST 1990

In article <36986 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> vanroy at pisces.uucp () writes:

>[Stuff about some particular Prolog implementation being faster that some
>other particular C implementation deleted]
>
>Disclaimer: this benchmark has a particularly easy translation to C.
>The result does not necessarily hold for other programs.  But don't
>you believe it anymore that Prolog is slow!

This is silly! Haven't you learned yet that no language is faster/slower than
another language - it's the implementation that's faster/slower than that
other implementation. The worst thing I know is people saying things like
C is faster than Pascal, because it isn't. Most C compilers generate faster
code than most Pascal compilers, true, but that's only because C heavily
depends upon (read allows) the programmer to optimize the code while the
Pascal compiler has to figure it all out by itself.

>	Peter Van Roy

/Christer

| Christer Ericson            Internet: christer at cs.umu.se [130.239.1.101] |
| Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, S-90187 UMEA, Sweden |
|                            "I bully sheep. I claim God doesn't exist..." |