Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on comp.lang.c

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Fri Jun 1 23:33:09 AEST 1990

Thanks for all of the feedback and support on the frequently-
asked questions posting.  Most of the suggestions have been
incorporated.  (Unfortunately, these plus a few new questions
leave it 20% longer.)

It has been suggested that the posting be broken up into chunks
posted weekly, on a rotating basis.  This seems like a good idea,
and I plan to work on it, but first I need to set up mechanisms
by which people can request the part they need (as opposed to the
part they just saw).  Raymond Chen at Berkeley has such a system,
which I may grab and use intact.  I'd be interested in having the
articles available at the standard archive sites as well, if the
administrators are amenable.

A weekly posting, even if partial, should heighten visibility.
I've been distressed to see something like five of the questions
on the first list being asked in the past few days...

I think I'll continue to post the full list, with its longer
introduction, monthly.  I'm also wondering if a periodic "Welcome
to comp.lang.c" posting, containing among other things a pointer
to the frequently asked questions postings, is appropriate.  I'm
sure it's been discussed before.

Keep the feedback coming.  I do appreciate it.  (The first post
was deliberately a bit rough, to get something out the door,
since it's always easier to criticize and work incrementally from
something that exists.)

Apparently some people are having trouble sending mail to
adam.mit.edu .  If it bounces, try scs%adam.mit.edu at mit.edu, and
let me know that the preferred address didn't work, especially if
your mailer uses named, which is (I believe) what the MIT mailers
are set up for.  (If you're still using /etc/hosts, it's not
likely that yours knows about adam, which is a tiny, backwater
machine.)  uucp paths through mit-eddie should also work
(mit-eddie!adam!scs), but I haven't tested this lately.

                                         Steve Summit
                                         scs at adam.mit.edu
                                         scs%adam.mit.edu at mit.edu