Nested Comments in C -- A recent experience

Matt Saucier msau at wpi.wpi.edu
Tue Mar 13 14:55:22 AEST 1990

IMO, a source level debugger is great for spotting problems like this...
"Whoops - it skipped a statement - Oh, I don't believe it... I forgot to close
the comment!"  Anyways, I've had similar problems, but, like someone else
mentioned - some compilers yell about a variable being used before it was
given a value.

To Mr HS.  If you say that C compilers that allow, or can allow, nested
comments are not C compilers, then you are very nieve.  There are times,
in which nested comments are a plus; Although I don't use the nested comment
method (I use #ifdef DEBUG #endif (or whatever)), I know a lot of people who
do use them.  They use TurboC.  And if you don't call that a C compiler,
maybe you should open your eyes.  TC has an option to turn on nested comments;
it's default is no nested comments.  Yes, if the option is on, it is not
technically, ANSI (nor K&R) C.  But who EVER ports C code while debugging?
I don't think ANYONE would be foolish enough to leave nested comments in
a completed, running program (actually, I could be wrong, but they are very
foolish indeed)  Nested comments, IMHO, are provided as an option for those
who have a certian style of debugging.  Just because a compiler offers an
extra FEATURE doesn't mean that it's not a C compiler - it's just helpful.

--
Internet: msau at wpi.wpi.edu     \\  Koyannisqatsi: n.  1. crazy life  2. life in
  BITNET: msau at wpi.bitnet        \\  turmoil  3. life disintegrating  4. life